It’s a jungle out there and the key to survival is making sure you are swinging high in the branches of search results. Guaranteeing that your dealership is being competitive in the automotive jungle is crucial to PPC campaign success. Fortunately, Google has a tool for this called the Auction Insights Report.
This post is going to give a step-by-step guide to understanding these reports and how any Grease Monkey out there can pull them.
This wonderful tool provides the ability to take a deep dive analysis of how you are comparing to your direct competitors in market for the same auctions you are in. With this report, dealerships can see how often their ads rank and how their share of total possible impressions compares with their competitors. We utilize these reports to make informed business decisions on bids, budgets and keyword choices to show where we are winning and even losing at the campaign, ad group and keyword level. These reports will give any dealership or client the opportunity to get ahead of the pack.
So let’s break down the statistics that are available in these reports before we pull any levers…
- This is a quick way to determine how your ads rank compared to others competing in the same auctions
- This is the number of impressions received divided by the estimated number of impressions eligible to receive
- Think of it as a slice of pie – If your impression share was 75%, you’d get 3 out of 4 slices
- It’s simple…Overlap rate places a number on how many times a competitor received an impression the same time you did
Position Above Rate
- How often your competitor’s ad was shown in a higher position than yours when shown at the same time
Top of Page Rate
- This tells us how often your ad was shown at the top of the page above the organic results
Using all of these statistics is wonderful, but be careful! It does not indicate that the competitors use the same settings or match types as you.
Now that we have a full understanding on what the report means, let’s get down to brass tacks and learn how to pull one!
- Sign in (given I know, but sometimes, you just never know…)
- Go to the desired account
- Click on the keywords tab and select the desired keywords you’d like to pull insights on
- Click the “Details” box at the top of the statistics table
- In the dropdown menu, click “Auction Insights” by all keywords or a selected choice at your desire
- And there you have it! You can now export in a csv or excel to pivot to your desires
Here are some things to consider when aggregating all this information:
- Are you competitive enough?
- Where are your lost opportunities and how can you capitalize on them moving forward?
- Are there certain time periods in which your competitors exhaust their budgets too quickly that you can take advantage on? (Segment your data by day of week, time of day, etc.)
- Do you need to revisit your bidding strategy by keyword?
- Are you losing out on any missed opportunities at certain time periods for your primary marketing area?
- Did this report make you reconsider who you truly think your actual competitors are? Did it identify new ones?
- What can you learn moving forward regarding your marketing strategy via this report?
I’m hoping this helps you jump to the top of the trees in the ever-evolving automotive search jungle. Remember, the best bananas are always at the top of the trees.